The Skamania County ARES/RACES team was formed to help citizens and government agencies communicate during an emergency/disaster. Members are FCC licensed amateur radio operators (“Hams”) that volunteer their time, equipment, and technical knowledge to enable our community to recover from disasters when the need arises. For additional information, please contact the Emergency Coordinator.
How can you help?
- If you have an amateur radio license, feel free to check us out. Attend a meeting, participate in a scheduled NET, apply for membership.
- If you would like to get an amateur radio license, there are many ways to study for the tests. Please note that Morse code hasn’t been a requirement for years!
- Skamania County ARES/RACES offers a amateur radio technician exam review class once per year, usually in Spring. Contact the Emergency Coordinator for more information.
- Radio Amateurs of the Gorge (RAGS) offers a class once per year typically in late summer or early fall in Hood River. The next class is November 17/18 at the Hood River Fire Department. Contact Brent at email@example.com to register or for more information.
- The American Radio Relay League (ARRL) has self-study books available with all of the questions and answers you will see on a test.
- There are plenty of smartphone apps will drill you in the questions for all 3 levels (Technician, General, and Extra).
- If you don’t have the time or interest in amateur radio, there are many things you can do to be an asset to your community in the event of an emergency or disaster:
- Take a first aid/CPR/AED class. Check with the Columbia Gorge Community College, local hospitals (Gorge Rescue), or the American Red Cross for a schedule.
- Participate in the Washington Map Your Neighborhood program. Map Your Neighborhood is designed to improve disaster readiness at the neighborhood level and teaches neighbors to rely on each other during the hours or days before fire, medical, police or utility responders arrive.
- Volunteer with your local fire department.
This website does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any information’s, content contained on, distributed through, or linked, downloaded or accessed from any of the services contained on this website, nor the quality of any products, information’s or any other material displayed, purchased, or obtained by you as a result of any other information or in connection with the services herein. This website is not associated or endorsed by the ARRL, Skamania County government, or any other government agency. All rights reserved.