What tools/expertise do you have to help you and your family during an emergency? There are lots of places to get training that will help.
- Introduction to CERT – a FEMA online course that is also good as a refresher class!
- First Aid/CPR/AED – there are lots of ways to get this training. When we have a major disaster, having a higher level of first aid training, like Wilderness First Aid, may come in handy.
- Map Your Neighborhood – a great program to get neighbors talking about disasters and how to prepare and help each other.
- Online preparedness videos
- Amateur radio (Ham) – in the event of a disaster, communication systems (telephone, cellular networks, etc.) will be stressed beyond limits. Amateur radio operators can and will pick up the slack. Consider studying and taking the test to get your license. It is not hard! Radio Amateurs of the Gorge hold classes at least once a year. You can also self-study using books, online sources, or download an app (iPhone or Android) to your smart phone.